Thursday, June 7, 2007

Don Cherry trying to save Hockey

If you didn't see Don on NBC with Hull and Clement, he was talking about the NHL and getting rid of the instigator rule in fighting. See link for youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3FwRoBoYuM

This really frosts my puck! Without the enforcer we are seeing more and more cheap-shots, which sadly, equals more serious injuries to our players. In the video Brett Hull says it himself, that without Kelly Chase or Tony Twist (two players very good with their hands and not for goal scoring) he would never have scored as many goals as he did. Why do you think Wayne Gretzky was always shadowed by a goon and almost no one screwed with him, Stevie Y with Probert and Kocur....OK, you get the point. If I'm a skater and I know I can put my stick in the face of Jager or cross-check him from behind into the boards, and get away with it...I'm doin it, knowing that no one is going to come after me to make me pay...that's a no-brainer. They refer to it as just fighting, but in all honesty it has a place and a distinct purpose, it makes players responsible for there actions. Its been a part of hockey from the beginning and should be here to stay.

No comments: